Click here to sign up for a Fall Conference!
- Fall Break - Monday, October 14th - Friday, October 18th
- Story Book Character Day - Thursday, October 31st
- Report Cards Go Home - Friday, November 1st
- Conference Week - Monday, November 4th - Friday, November 8th
- 3rd Grade Music Performance - Thursday, November 14th @ 6:30pm
- Dudes and Daughters Dance - Friday, November 15th
- Thanksgiving Break - Wednesday, November 27th - Friday, November 29th
The Kids Loved the Technology Party Today!
We have completed Unit 3! Students took their Unit 3 assessment today (Thursday). The graded assessments will be coming home with the students tomorrow (Friday). Students have been asked to correct any mistakes and return the tests to me by Wednesday, October 23rd.
Our next math unit is an introduction to multiplication. In this unit students will:
- solve multiplication story problems
- represent problems involving multiplication using skip counting, number lines, arrays, and ratio tables
- develop efficient strategies for multiplication facts through 10x10
We finished our first unit of study - fiction. Our next unit is a study of nonfiction texts. This week students participated in a nonfiction text features scavenger hunt where they explored different types of nonfiction texts and studied the different text features (glossary, index, types of print, headings, subheadings, photographs, etc.) to figure out how each feature helps them to better understand the text. We will continue our work with nonfiction when we return from break.
Students have been working hard these past two weeks on two different writing projects:
- Should Kids Have Homework?
-Should Kids Have School the Day After Halloween?
For each of these pieces, students read an article and then used ideas in the article to form their own opinions. Students worked hard to plan out their writing pieces, making sure to include strong reasons and details that support their opinions. They worked hard to write an organized paragraph that persuades their readers.
When we return from Fall Break, we will begin working on a fun, descriptive writing piece. I have created a make-believe real-estate company and each student will write a listing to sell either a spooky, haunted house, or a beautiful mansion (their choice). We already began collaborating with the art teacher, Ms. Thompson, on this project. She guided the students through a drawing project where they were able to make the house they will write about come alive! These projects will be hanging up in our classroom during conference week, so be sure to take a look!
We began our first science unit - Matter and Energy. For the past two weeks students have been participating in hands-on science investigations where they explored the concept of energy - what is energy, where does energy come from, how is energy stored, and how does energy get transferred? When we return from break we will begin to explore the different states of matter.