- Monday, September 2nd - No School
- Wednesday, September 4th - Picture Day
- Friday, September 6th - Run4Funds Run Day
- Tuesday, September 17th - Field Trip - Denver Walking Tour (more info to come)
WHAT WE'VE BEEN LEARNING...
Students spent this week reviewing addition and subtraction strategies, including the standard algorithms for both operations. As third graders, students are expected to be proficient at using the standard algorithm for addition and subtraction equations. The kids participated in an interactive scavenger hunt where they had to find and solve addition/subtraction equation cards hidden around the room.
We also had our first day of math homework this week. Next week we will have math homework 2 nights.
We spent this week learning about and practicing the expectations and behaviors of good readers. Some of our minilessons this week included:
- what is reading stamina
- how to build a powerful reading life
- how to set goals as readers and track our progress
- how to choose "just right" books
Students have been working hard as writers this week! We reviewed how to plan and write an organized paragraph. We wrote a paragraph as a class, then students planned and began writing their own paragraphs about their favorite sport or pet. Next week students will learn strategies to hook their readers, as well as how to revise/edit their writing.
We began our spelling program this week. Students received their Lesson 1 spelling list and homework today.
- Spelling homework is due on WEDNESDAY
- Spelling test is on THURSDAY
In third grade we will switch back and forth between social studies and science units. Our first unit is Denver History. This week students began learning about why people started coming to the Denver area back in 1858. Students also worked in collaborative groups to design a picture timeline for how Denver got its start.