- Monday, September 24 - Student Leadership Speeches and Election
- Friday, October 5th - Cottonwood Carnival (3:00-6:00pm)
- Monday, October 10th - Cardboard Challenge (Smoky Hill High School @ 4:30pm)
- Monday, October 15th - Friday, October 19th - FALL BREAK!
Story Parent Sign Up
Please click on the link below to sign up for a time to come read to our class. Bring your family's favorite picture books to share with us! :)
WHAT WE'VE BEEN LEARNING...
We began Unit 2 - Introduction to Multiplication. Students learned what is means to multiply and when to use multiplication. As students progress through Unit 2 , they will:
- solve multiplication problems that include number lines, arrays, and ratio tables
- develop efficient strategies for solving multiplication facts up to 10x10
- solve multiplication story problems
We finished our first reading unit! Today we celebrated all of the learning and thinking about our reading we have done so far this year. Students reflected on the different strategies we have been learning and practicing, as well as how they have improved as a reader, and what they can still work on to continue to improve.
Our next reading unit focuses on character studies. As students become more proficient readers, the characters in their novels will become more complex. The characters come up against increasingly difficult challenges and heavier social issues, have mixed feelings, and change in significant ways.
In our second unit, students will:
- get to know characters by studying them deeply, first observing, and then investigating patterns that reveal deeper character traits and motivations
- use theories to make predictions as they follow characters on their journeys
- compare and contrast characters across books, examining their traits, motivations, the way they respond to problems, and the life lessons they learn and teach
Students have been working hard on writing a multi-paragraph opinion essay about whether or not trampoline parks are dangerous. After reading and discussing two articles about trampoline parks, students weighed the pros and cons and formed their own opinion. Students then planned our their writing, making sure they had solid reasons to support their opinion. We drafted our "sloppy copies," revised and edited, and began typing our final copies using Google Drive. The kids learned how to login to their Google Drive accounts and how to create and share a new document.
- Spelling Homework (due next Wednesday) - Lesson 6 (homophones for long i)
- Wordly Wise - we will begin Lesson 3 next week. We do the Wordly Wise activities in class, but students are always welcome to bring their books home to study the words.
After our Denver field trip, students were asked to choose their favorite building or site that we visited. They wrote a short paragraph about why it is their favorite and the history behind the building. Next week we are going to do a fun green screen activity with their writing!